Re: [Ltib] Building toolchain from source

From: Steve Papacharalambous
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Building toolchain from source
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 07:57:36 +0100

Hi Scott,

If you build the toolchain using the source rpm that you downloaded then
it will download the source archives it needs as part of the build
process provided that the build machine is connected to the internet.

The procedure to build the toolchain is given below.  Please note that
the location of the rpm directories is assumed to be "/usr/src/rpm".  If
the rpm directories on the build machine are located in a different
place then the instructions must be amended accordingly:

1/ Install the source rpm: rpm -ivh tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.src.rpm

2/ The spec file needs modifying to change the URL for the gpp.  To do
this change the following line
in /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.spec:

from: %define gpp_url                     http://10.82.193.3/gpp/
to: %define gpp_url                     http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/

3/ Start the toolchain build process: rpmbuild
-ba /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.spec

NOTE that if the rpm directories are not located in /usr/src/rpm then
the following command line must be used to build the toolchain:

RPMDIR=<rpm base directory> rpmbuild -ba <rpm base
directory>/SPECS/tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.spec

so, for example on a RedHat machine the command would be:

RPMDIR="/usr/src/redhat" rpmbuild
-ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.spec

This should build the toolchain source and binary rpm for the 8548.

If don't want to use the source rpm then you're on your own.  :-)
However the following information might be useful:
The following source archives are needed to build the 8548 toolchain:

- binutils-2.15-elf8.tar.bz2          Available from the gpp.

- gcc-3_4-e500-branch-2005052.tar.bz2 Available from the gpp.

- glibc-2.3.4.tar.bz2                 Available from any of the GNU
sites.

- glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.4.tar.bz2    Avaialble from any of the GNU
sites.

- linux-libc-headers-2.6.11.tar.bz2   Available from the gpp.

The source rpm contains the crosstool archive needed to build the
toolchain, and all the build instructions are contained in this archive
and the rpm spec file.

One last point, there is a later toolchain for the 8548 which was built
using gcc-4.0.2 and glibc-2.3.6.  In addition this new toolchain uses
the NPTL thread libraries instead of the linuxthreads thread libraries
previously which may give better performance especially in thread
intensive applications.  The source and binary names of the later
toolchain are:

tc-fsl-x86lnx-e500-dp-nptl-4.0.2-2.i386.rpm
tc-fsl-x86lnx-e500-dp-nptl-4.0.2-2.src.rpm

Best regards,

Steve

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 14:18 -0600, Davis, Scott (AGRE) wrote:
> I would like to build the MPC8548CDS toolchain from source.  What
> needs to be downloaded from GPP or elsewhere to extract the source and
> build the toolchain.  I have build crosstools toolchains for a variety
> of targets but with the 8548 I need the E500 DPF extended instruction
> set for the 8548 and I would need to use the Freescale toolchain
> source to do this as I understand.  I have downloaded the file
> tc-mtwk-lnx-e500-dp-3.4-2.src.rpm from the GPP however it is unclear
> how to build the toolchain for the 8548 with double precision floating
> point in hardware support via the extended instruction set added to
> gcc via Freescale.
>
> Scott Davis
> GE
> Aviation
> Digital Systems
> Software Engineer
>
> T 616 224 6659
> F 616 241 8707
> E address@hidden
> www.ge.com/aviation
>
> 3290 Patterson Ave, SE
> Grand Rapids, MI 49512, U.S.A.

> The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain
> individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to
> legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should
> notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from
> your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for
> any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views
> or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
> and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient
> should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
> viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused,
> directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.

Steve Papacharalambous
Developer Technology.

Registered address:
Freescale Semiconductor UK Ltd