Re: [Ltib] to be root or not to be root?

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] to be root or not to be root?
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:00:20 +0100

Hi Harri,

LTIB only runs using root permissions during the actual install phase of
an rpm.  During builds and any other time it is just the normal user.

We need root permissions during the package installation as it is
creating a real root filesystem under rootfs to be mounted etc by the
booting target.  This needs root permissions, no way around it.

However, if you look at the package spec files (the %pfx) and at the
ltib code itself I go to great lengths to make sure that even errant
package should not be able to scribble over your normal system
directories (see check_host_clobber line 2395 in ltib).

Regards, Stuart