[Ltib] How to get device nodes into zImage?

From: Ned Konz
Subject: [Ltib] How to get device nodes into zImage?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:50:39 -0800

I've been banging my head against this:

LTIB will make a zImage that contains most of the filesystem entries you need to run your system.

Unfortunately, it lacks any device nodes (there are only a few empty directories under /dev).

Later, a rootfs.ext2.gz may be produced that has all the proper device entries in it.

How can we get the device entries in the zImage? I've tried pointing the source for the INITRAMFS at the rootfs.tmp but it doesn't have the device entries yet.

What is the best way to get a fully - populated ramdisk image into the zImage -- with the device entries?

This is a lot easier than using a separate kernel image and rootfs image.