Re: [Ltib] Spec file for newer i2c-tools-3.0.2.

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Spec file for newer i2c-tools-3.0.2.
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:12:41 +0000

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 06:48 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Stuart Hughes wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 15:59 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > %define pfx /opt/freescale/rootfs/%{_target_cpu}
> > >
> > > Summary         : i2c tools
> > > Name            : i2c-tools
> > > Version         : 3.0.2
> > > Release         : 1
> > > License         : GPL
> > > Vendor          : Freescale
> > > Packager        : Stuart Hughes
> > > Group           : Development/Tools
> > > URL             : http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/I2CTools
> > > Source          : i2c-tools-3.0.2.tar.bz2
> > > BuildRoot       : %{_tmppath}/%{name}
> > > Prefix          : %{pfx}
> > >
> > > %Description
> > > %{summary}
> > >
> > > %Prep
> > > %setup
> > >
> > > %Build
> > > make
> > >
> > > %Install
> > > rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> > > mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{pfx}/usr/sbin
> > > for i in i2cdetect i2cset i2cget i2cdump
> > > do
> > >      cp -a tools/$i $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{pfx}/usr/sbin/$i
> > > done
> > >
> > > %Clean
> > > rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> > >
> > > %Files
> > > %defattr(-,root,root)
> > > %{pfx}/*
> > >
> > > =================== cut here =================
> > >
> > >    Observations on the above:
> > >
> > > * I2C tools are now maintained at a different site.
> > >
> > > * Unlike 2.8.1, the utilities are now built in a "tools"
> > >    subdirectory.
> > >
> > > * Unlike the existing spec file for 2.8.1, I prefer to install
> > >    non-critical utilities in /usr/sbin as opposed to /sbin, since
> > >    that standard is used by a number of Linux distros.
> > >
> > > Other than that, this appears to build just fine.  Comments?
> > >

> > Agreed on all points, looks good to me.  Can you briefly say why you
> > wanted to upgrade it though.
>
>   i2c-tools-3.0.x is a noticeable refactoring from pre-3.0.0 versions.
> from an email to me from i2c maintainer jean delvare yesterday:
>
> "i2c-tools contains tools which used to be part of the lm-sensors
> package. We decided to split them out of lm-sensors 3.0.0 because not
> all hardware monitoring chips are I2C devices and not all I2C devices
> are hardware monitoring chip."
>
>   the newer version contains the additional "i2cget" util that doesn't
> exist in pre-3.0.0 versions, and there is the 3.0.x changelog:
>
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/i2c-tools/tags/V3-0-2/CHANGES
>
>   while incremental upgrades are arguably worth tracking, the newer
> version of 3.0 seems worthwhile, but i'm willing to be persuaded
> otherwise.  it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I think the presence of "i2cget" is worth upgrading for.  Generally
speaking we only upgrade if there's a need, but if we do we take the
latest stable one that seems to work.

I'll put this on my TODO list, it may be a little while as I've got a
few other things to do before the holiday.

Thanks for the contribution.