[Ltib] How to 'correctly' update a package?

From: Anthony L. Montiel
Subject: [Ltib] How to 'correctly' update a package?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:45:47 -0700

I’ve read the available documentation, and I think I know (generally) how to
do this. My concern is that I do it ‘correctly’ and not make more work for
the folks on this list.

So, some specifics about what my concerns are:

1) I'm using a benchmarking program called "bonnie++" and I thought this
would be a nice, small package to start my foray into updating LTIB packages
(I'm so naïve). The latest version of bonnie++ is 1.03e (refer to
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/).

2) My problems start immediately with the revision number - in LTIB the
revision is marked as "1.93c". I assume this was a typo, because there was
never (as far as I can tell) such a version.
==> Question: How can I fix this to reflect what I presume is the actual
version of "1.03c?

3) The latest release, as I mentioned earlier, is 1.03e. What is the
'correct' way to update the package to this revision? As a patch to 1.03c,
or as a new .spec file?

Thank you for helping this poor newbie.

--Tony

Tony Montiel