Re: [Ltib] Re: NEW LTIB...and Full Toolchain build....

From: Steve Papacharalambous
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Re: NEW LTIB...and Full Toolchain build....
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:23:27 +0100

Hi Peter,

You're right, the tc-fsl-x86lnx-armeabi-nptl-4.1.2-3 toolchain does not
have support for the ARM CORTEX-A8 so would need to be updated.

The source rpm, tc-fsl-x86lnx-armeabi-nptl-4.1.2-3.src.rpm, is probably
a good starting point, but it will need significant modifications which
will be dependant on the specification of the new toolchain.  There are
%define variables in the spec file for each of the toolchain components
that can be updated to the later revisions that you intend to use in the
new toolchain.

However the rest of the changes that will be needed to the spec file are
dependant on the configuration of the toolchain that you intend to
build.  For example tc-fsl-x86lnx-armeabi-nptl-4.1.2-3.src.rpm builds a
multilib hard/soft float toolchain with the hard float libraries
optimised for devices with the vfp floating point unit.

The build scripts for tc-fsl-x86lnx-armeabi-nptl-4.1.2-3 toolchain look
for the FSF sources in: /opt/freescale/pkgs

Aside from building/testing a new toolchain yourself, some of the other
possibilities are:

- Request an updated toolchain from Freescale.

- CodeSourcery have a multilib ARM toolchain available for public
download that has been built with more recent toolchain components that
will generate code for the ARM CORTEX A8, but I'm not sure whether any
of the multilibs are optimised for the A8.

- Take a contract with Zee2.  In case you weren't aware Stuart and I are
no longer employed by Freescale, and are involved with Zee2 now.

Best regards,

Steve