[Ltib] docs, man pages, headers, static libs in rootfs

From: Fritz Mueller
Subject: [Ltib] docs, man pages, headers, static libs in rootfs
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:13:09 -0700

Hello all,

I am working on developing a new ltib target for a board under
development, based on one of Freescale's existing eval board targets.  I
will be booting from a read-only JFFS2 root on flash.  I am trying to
minimize the footprint of the rootfs, and need to address the issue of
various docs, includes, and static libs that some packages are leaving
there.

My question is what is the intended "best" way to address this, both in
fixing/patching existing packages and also for the new packages I am
creating along the way?  There are a number of ways that I can see that
this could be addressed:

  - Provide config/make source patches in the packages to prevent them
from installing the unwanted files.

  - Provide post-install cleanup code in the package spec files to
remove the unwanted files after they are installed.

  - Use the existing deployment remove files/dirs config options.

  - Something else I've overlooked?

Some other issues, questions:

  - The deployment cleanup options in the Freescale version of ltib that
I am using are all contingent on !NFS, but what if I want to also clean
up an NFS rootfs?

  - The "remove man pages etc" option defines DEPLOYMENT_RM_DOCS, but a
find/grep in both my ltib dir and lpp came up empty for references to
this.  Is this option in use?

Thanks much for any feedback/suggestions!

            --FritzM.