Re: [Ltib] Could not Display LCD - need advise

From: Ian Guffick
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Could not Display LCD - need advise
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:04:47 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: casper iway
Hello,

Could someone give me advise on what package/s to build so that my LCD will display anything.. By the way my board is LPC3141 from embedded artists. I read somewhere that i need to build DirectFB as one of the requirements, i already did build DirectFB successfully and also enable most of the Graphic Drivers in the Kernel configuration but still got no display on LCD, or maybe i just don't know how. Do i need to type something in the Bash prompt to trigger the LCD to display or it will display right at the boot up? I really don't have any idea where to look. Please give me idea on how to have a simple display
on my LCD (i mean just any display on my LCD)..

If someone could point me to a good tutorial or forum, i would be very grateful...

regards,

Cas

To start with you will probably have a frame buffer driver, look for /dev/fb0
To test you can do :
   cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0
you should see the screen filling with random colours.
I think you should also be able to do :
   echo "just some text" > /dev/fb0

I don't know anything about your board, it may need the backlight or display enabling separately. If you have problems, can you check the LCD signals are being generated using an oscilloscope?

If the above works, then have a look at 'ezfb' to get a bit more happening on your display.

Regards,
Ian.