[Ltib] *very* quickly relearning my LTIB, some simple questions

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: [Ltib] *very* quickly relearning my LTIB, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:47:11 -0500 (EST)

  (for better or worse, stuart might remember me from a couple years
back.  as it turns out, i have a reason to refresh my LTIB expertise
by, oh, wednesday.  so if i may ask a few trivial questions to start
the process...)

  1) is there any issue with using the CVS form of ltib if a project
calls for the "official" 10-1-1a version?  that is, are all fixes,
enhancements, what have you fairly assured to be backward compatible?
not a big issue, i'm just curious if there are any reasons to
explicitly *avoid* this?

  2) for now, i plan on doing all my work on ubuntu 10.10.  as far as
i can tell, i have my initial "./ltib" running and all i needed to do
was "sudo apt-get install rpm" to get the essential rpm utilities.
are there any caveats i need to know about ltib on ubuntu?

  3) a suggestion -- when i ran ltib for the first time, it printed:

If an error occurs, a log file with the full output may be found in:
/home/rpjday/provo/ltib/tar/ltib-10-1-1a-sv/host_config.log

  which is fine, except that the new user might be confused by the
apparent lack of any activity.  it might be worth adding right below
that the suggestion that, if the user wants to follow along, then from
another terminal session, run "tail -f host_config.log".  if a user is
unsure, being told how to follow the processing can be reassuring.

  and i think that's all i had for now.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca