[Ltib] LTIB for Raspberry Pi

From: Malloy, Sean C.
Subject: [Ltib] LTIB for Raspberry Pi
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 05:02:43 +0000

I've made a successful first pass at LTIB for the Raspberry Pi and was
wondering how much more actual work was in front of me if I wanted my config
added to the official list of platforms.

As of now, what I have working is this:

Kernel 3.2.27-cutdown is your only choice for a kernel, and it builds from
local source.  I should download kernels from the RasPi sites during the
build...

I built my own custom toolchain using ct-ng and glibc.  Support for uClibc
needs to be verified.  And perhaps an official toolchain for RPi should be
selected or built.

As of right now, I have to copy images to the SD card manually as the RPi wants
/boot on partition 1 as FAT, and the rootfs on partition 2 as ext4, though the
type is configurable.   I'm sure there's a way to automate this, but I haven't
found it yet.  (RPi doesn't use a real boot loader, but instead boots the GPU,
who then acts as a boot loader for the CPU.  Apparently the GPU binary is
closed source.)

Busybox is being used as init.  Currently, if Busybox is dynamically linked, I
get the dreaded "no init found" Panic message on boot.   If staticly linked, I
boot to a login prompt.   This is odd because I was able to run a dynamically
linked hello world program as /sbin/init successfully.   I'll get this figured
out eventually.

So, in this basic configuration, top shows a memory usage of just 4.5M in a
not-very-optimized setup, without X.

If there's enough interest in adding RPi support to LTIB, I'll be happy to
share so long as I can get some guidance as to what I need to do in order to
get it ready for prime time.