Re: [Ltib] Build results for 20130517

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Build results for 20130517
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:54:24 +0100

On 24/05/13 16:07, Mike Goins wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Stuart Hughes <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Sorry for not replying earlier, the build results get filtered and put
>> into a separate folder.
>>
>> The way the auto-builder works, all packages (nearly) are enable for all
>> platforms in the auto-builder.  That explains why they are not enabled
>> in your default configuration (they are not in the defaults).
>>
>> I need to look into what the exact failure is for that board (or at
>> least refresh my memory).  Some of the issues are related to the build
>> environment; we deliberately use an old host OS which IIRC causes some
>> failures.  If I get a chance I'll get back to you and try to resolve
>> what I'm seeing.
>>
>> BTW: it's helpful to get feedback on this.
>
> How old is this build environment?  The oldest machine I run it on is
> OpenSuse 10.2 from 2006.
>
> No need to poke into this particular platform, as it seems that avahi
> fails on all platforms and likely just missing a host package.
> Nothing critical, just had a few minutes to try it out.
>
> Tried the gstreamer stuff also, and it appears to have ordering
> issues.  Plus, I'm seeing a few packages that are testing host side
> items instead of using a proper cross-compile test in configure, but I
> suspect this fairly typical.

Hi Mike,

The auto-builder is running RedHat 7.3 (from 2002!).  The failure is
because perl is on 5.6 on that version (see below).

There is a method to this madness though.  The original toolchains we
built were based on RH 7.3 host builds because at that time, this was
still a platform in common use and so unless the toolchain was build on
that ancient version, it would not run on that generation of hosts.  The
auto-builder, to be consistent was hosted on the same platform.

We could of course move this to a new baseline, but whatever you pick
it'll be wrong for someone.  In some cases we have installed newer host
apps, but it's a bit of a tangled knot of dependencies.  These days, as
there's not much time (and no sponsors), so there's only minimal
maintenance carried out.

Bottom line, the auto-builder is a good guide, but it's not perfect.
Its main use is to see when a package is changed whether of not that
causes regressions.  As there's not a lot of updates these days, the
output is pretty static (having said that I have recently updated some
packages, but they're not defaults).

---- output from auto-builder

checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... configure: error: perl 5.8.1 is required
for intltool
error: Bad exit status from /home/seh/ltib/mpc837xemds/tmp/rpm-tmp.99913
(%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /home/seh/ltib/mpc837xemds/tmp/rpm-tmp.99913
(%build)
Build time for avahi: 24 seconds

Failed building avahi