Re: [Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG[.dev] handling

From: Peter Barada
Subject: Re: [Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG[.dev] handling
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:18:57 -0400

On 07/29/2013 02:03 PM, Mike Goins wrote:
> I'm having an issue in kernel-common.tmpl with the preconfig and the
> existence of the .dev file.
>
> If the .dev file exists then it gets set as the CFG:
>
> for CFG in "$PLATFORM_PATH/${PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG}.dev"
> "$PLATFORM_PATH/$PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG"
> do
>    if [ -f $CFG ]
>    then
>        CFG_PATH=$CFG
>        break
>    fi
> done
> <snip>
> cp -f $CFG_PATH $KBOUT/.config
> <snip>
> yes "" | make ARCH=$LINTARCH HOSTCC="$BUILDCC" oldconfig
>
> This ends up rebuilding the kernel based on the .dev file and not the
> PRECONFIG since the .dev file exists. We are not tracking .dev files
> in version control, so this process is not using an updated PRECONFIG
> that may arrive in version control.  Continuous integration systems
> noticeably are being affected.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?  Tracking the .dev file looks like it
> may fix this, but I'd prefer that as a last resort. Anything wrong
> with testing the time-stamps of the PRECONFIG and .dev file and using
> the PRECONFIG if it is newer?  What if I changed the order in the "for
> CFG in"?
Don't change the order, or any user configuration changes (made by
"./ltib -c") won't take effect...

You best bet for continuous integration is to first remove any *.dev
files from the platform directory and then force the selection of a
preconfig file.  I.E. run the following script to do a CIS build:

#/bin/sh
PLATFORM="<platform>"
rm -rf config/platform/$platform/*.dev
./ltib -b --preconfig config/platform/$platform/defconfig

Better would be modify the ltib script to add a "--remove_dev_files"
option that removes the platform *.dev files near the start of its
processing after identifying the platform.