lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #20409] Add netif callback function for link change ev

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #20409] Add netif callback function for link change event
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:05:53 +0000

So, to resume my last comments, I prefer (it's my point of view):

1/ netif_add should not be change, as long the "low_level_init" is enough to
init flags (and, to be compatible with current source, NETIF_FLAG_LINK_UP
should be set by default, if ports maintainers doesn't want to do the job).
Like this, this is not really mandatory (except set the flag).

2/ Only one flag NETIF_FLAG_LINK_UP which have to be change by the driver
using netif_set_link_up()/_down(). The check can be done in a netif timer
(1Hz is enough I think), or by "locking" the stack (which will be less
intrusive than a timer - after all, we don't plug/unplug the device often).

3/ DHCP, AUTOIP, IGMP have to handle/check in timers that the link change of
state (if it's necessary), adding - if necessary - new internal states,
because each module know the "right thing" to do.

4/ "gratuitous ARP" should be send as soon as possible in netif_set up &
netif_set_link_up to update LAN routers & switchs

Again, it's my point of view... ;)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20409>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/