lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #20409] Add netif callback function for link change ev

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #20409] Add netif callback function for link change event
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:08:46 +0000

Lot of "fine", can we hope to be agree ?? ;)

>UP/DOWN is used to define whether communication actually can happen on this
interface. It is set/reset by the stack in response to events (like DHCP).
This is how lwIP currently works.

There is already "lot" (?) of lwIP since several years. So since these users
use already the stack like this, I think we should keep the current behavior.
After all, Linux is not THE reference !!! :)

>The gratutious ARP should happen whenever the IP address changes. When DHCP
gets an IP address, it calls netif_set_ipaddr. If I want to use a static IP,
I will call netif_set_ipaddr. AUTOIP calls netif_set_ipaddr. Can you think of
a time when a call to netif_set_ipaddr should not cause a gratuitous ARP?

It's not exact: if DHCP, AUTOIP & static IP call "set_ipaddr", they also call
"set_up" !!! Even for "static," if you read rawapi.txt, and look for samples,
you will see :

"- netif_set_up(struct netif *netif)
When the netif is fully configured this function must be called."

It's done here since "set_up" have to be call after "set_ipaddr",
"set_netmask" and "set_gw" (to "terminate" the "three-calls" sequence)...

Fine for you ?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20409>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/