lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] IPv4 TOS unimplemented?

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] IPv4 TOS unimplemented?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:17:36 +0200

In fact, this is the sockets.h comment which is wrong, I use this field without any problems with set/getsockopt and IP_TOS.. I suppose we should simply change the comment in sockets.h with a comment like this (from RFC791):

(before IPTOS_...)
/*
* The Type of Service provides an indication of the abstract
*  parameters of the quality of service desired.  These parameters are
*  to be used to guide the selection of the actual service parameters
*  when transmitting a datagram through a particular network.  Several
*  networks offer service precedence, which somehow treats high
*  precedence traffic as more important than other traffic (generally
*  by accepting only traffic above a certain precedence at time of high
*  load).  The major choice is a three way tradeoff between low-delay,
*  high-reliability, and high-throughput.
*  The use of the Delay, Throughput, and Reliability indications may
*  increase the cost (in some sense) of the service.  In many networks
*  better performance for one of these parameters is coupled with worse
*  performance on another.  Except for very unusual cases at most two
*  of these three indications should be set.
*/

(before IPTOS_PREC...)
/*
*  The Network Control precedence designation is intended to be used
*  within a network only.  The actual use and control of that
*  designation is up to each network. The Internetwork Control
*  designation is intended for use by gateway control originators only.
*  If the actual use of these precedence designations is of concern to
*  a particular network, it is the responsibility of that network to
*  control the access to, and use of, those precedence designations.
*/

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>