lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #26133] Processor specific porting needs flexibility i

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #26133] Processor specific porting needs flexibility in terms of placement of various memory pools.
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:43:08 +0000

Can you explain how this should be used?  I presume porters of lwIP will have
to allocate an area of memory and poke it into ADI_TOOLS_memp_ptr or
something.  It's not clear what advantage this brings, and would by the look
of it break the existing ports.

I think this would be better done with a function call.  Use lwip/memp_std.h
to calculate the length required (as you have done), then call a
(port-defined) architecture-specific function to allocate the pool memory with
that length as an argument.  This function would return a pointer to the
memory that could be assigned to memp_memory.  There would also need to be the
corresponding "free this memory" call I suppose.

Ideally this should be an optional feature, so the existing behaviour is the
default (as that is what most will want) and those that need it could specify
something like #define LWIP_MEMP_EXTERNALLY_ALLOCATED 1 (just a suggestion for
the name) in lwipopts.h

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26133>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/