lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Window scale and SACK

From: H. Peter Anvin
Subject: [lwip-devel] Window scale and SACK
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:05:11 -0700

Hi all,

I've been recently experimented with lwip for a project, and first of
all, I have to say the performance (on a fast host) was a lot better
than I expected -- I was able to get 200 Mbps sustained, and 600 Mbps
transient, with very little tuning.  Over an intercontinental connection
I was able to get ~2.5 Mbps, which was within 20% of what I got over the
same link with Linux with window scale turned off.

At least in my application, it looks like performance is largely limited
by the lack of window scale (for WAN links) or SACK (for burst packet
loss on LAN links).  I noticed a thread from April about implementing
window scaling, and only a mention from 2003 about SACK.  I am curious
if someone is already working on either or both of these.

        -hpa