lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] SNMP improvements

From: Freddie Chopin
Subject: [lwip-devel] SNMP improvements
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:59:38 +0100

First of all, hello - this is my first post to this list! I've been using lwip for just a few months and I definetely DO NOT consider myself to be skilled with it or TCP/IP in general.

Anyway...

Lately I'm playing with SNMP in lwip and while it works it has some strange details inside... Yesterday I've sent a patch with some minor improvement to sysDescr field, making it really const as it should be.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8220

This is just a start, as there are many other places where const would be nice (one of them is sysobjid, for which I have a patch too), which generally reduces RAM usage considerably.

I have some nice ideas for improvements, code rework (which would make it more object-oriented - MUCH shorter and MUCH more "localized"), API changes to make it easier to use etc. However I don't know whether such patches would be accepted, as these would break current API and lwip seems a bit abandoned lately (there are lots of patches sitting on the page, there were no commits lately etc.)... On the other hand SNMP is probably not the most used feature of lwip and it could really benefit from some (API-breaking) improvements...

Any opinions? (;

Regards,
FCh