lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Please release early, release often

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Please release early, release often
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:01:38 +0100

Patrik Karisch wrote:

> I know this may be annoying, but it's also annoying to stay over 15
> months without a new version.

And it mint be annoying, too, for those waiting for a release, but lwIP
currently simply does not seem to have enough active developers to support the
code. And while new members are welcome, adding them to the developer team
really only makes sense when they really know lwIP and have proven so.

As I already said, some of the excellent patches in the bug tracker make it
much more easy to fix things, so please keep that up, everyone!

> And I know there is the big IPv6 feature set, but don't be afraid to
> release alpha/beta versions for this. Sadly there is no 1.4.x support
> branch were you could have incorporated bugfixes for the 1.4 versions
> and released them.

There is such a branch and I've used it to build the bug fix release from 1.4.0
to 1.4.1, but always fixing bugs in two trees is a task we can already not
afford to do, or else the master branch would be developed even slower.

> Please guys, release early and release often, so we can take advantage
> of your awesome work. It's better for us all. Follow semver.org and
> don't be afraid to release alpha/beta/RC releases often or bugfix
> releases.

I'll try to do that.

> It's no shame to have e.g. a 1.4.12 version, because of many
> bugfix releases from time to time.

It's not a shame, you're rig, but it takes a lot of time!

Simon