lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Question about some bigger changes in LwIP

From: Ivan Delamer
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Question about some bigger changes in LwIP
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:28:53 -0600

Hello Jan,

1) IPv6 address/prefix auto/configuration and routing is not implemented according to RFC. I have investigate it little bit and also compare the source with uIP in contiki... and they are doing it right! So please don't tell me that we are "light weight", because much more "light weight" stack
is doing it right.
Implementation in LwIP is not bad, but naive so it just works in many cases.

You are correct in your analysis. When I put together the first version of IPv6 for LwIP, I thought it was better than Contiki (I was a contributor/committer there too), but they have definitely worked a lot more on it since.

Patches, suggestions, code, bug reports, feedback, are very welcome and necessary. The IPv6 code was meant to be a starting point that works in most cases, to be improved by the community.

Now I have more kids and less free time to work on this, so it's up to anyone who wants to volunteer their time and knowledge to improve it. I can give my opinion and commit some patches, but that's about what I can offer right now.

Cheers
Ivan