lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9044] SNMP response for failed get operation

From: Dirk Ziegelmeier
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9044] SNMP response for failed get operation
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 09:02:25 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #4, patch #9044 (project lwip):

Yes its more consistent, but there are several objections:

- Its an absolute corner case that getInstance() or getNextInstance() return
successfully but then getting the value of the object fails. If you say an OID
exists, you usually also have a value for it. This never happens in the all
parts of the MIB2 that I implemented and three other MIBs I implemented at
work (LLDP related).

- We are in a lightweight stack, so I do not try to solve every corner case in
a perfect way.

- I'd need to adapt the MIB compiler and retest it

Note: There are some other assumptions in the agent, e.g. it does not handle
writes that well (only one callback where you have to check all writable
OIDs). These assumptions are intended to work on a typical embedded project,
the agent does not try to duplicate net-snmp.

-> IMHO, to solve a rare corner case, misusing a length return value is OK for
me. Yes, it's not as clean as your solution, I agree.

-> proposal:
#define SNMP_LEN_ERR_GENERROR     0xFFFF

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9044>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/