lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] LwIP SMP Experience

From: D.C. van Moolenbroek
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] LwIP SMP Experience
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:52:11 +0100

On 3/24/2017 15:40, goldsimon wrote:
There are no sockets in MINIX?

Don't be silly now ;) Suspension of socket calls is done a bit more explicitly, through a socket event library. As far as I understand, that is in fact the general approach that NetBSD hopes to adopt as well one day, because explicitly suspending socket calls is actually rather easy (there is very little state involved) and saves the need for a stack per suspended call.

MINIX does not have support for kernel threads at all and is not designed to scale to larger numbers of CPUs, so performance-wise this is entirely acceptable for us. The main alternative would have been user-level threads (managed entirely within the service), which I decided against for the above reasons.

David