lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9612] Bugfix: sntp server IP address not always sav

From: Jan Breuer
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9612] Bugfix: sntp server IP address not always saved after DNS lookup
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 09:16:02 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #9612 (project lwip):

For me, it also sounds redundant, to cahce IP address in SNTP client code,
because there is already cache in DNS client code.

But

 1) it may be helpfull in conjunction with NTP server pools. There may be some
reason because of precision - it is better to stay with one server and not to
jump to different server at every request.

 2) if you are implementing some monitoring, NTP server or so, you would like
to know exact source of last succesful synchronization. Hostname is not enough
for this - because of pools, was it over IPv4/IPv6?, etc.

We are using proprietary NTP client over LwIP so I don't know this SNTP client
implementation, but in general we rely heavily on 2).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9612>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/