lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PPP dial-on-demand

From: Federico Frigo
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PPP dial-on-demand
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:38:59 +0100

I want to achieve a situation like this:

Program <—(TCP/UDP sockets on several ports)—> ESP8266 <—(NAT traffic to PPP)—> microprocessor

Unfortunately the microprocessor only talks with PPP clients, so I need to bring up PPP link when there’s traffic and forward all traffic through it, this is why I need the dial-on-demand functionality: I’d like to NAT traffic to PPP link, that must establish connection to microprocessor PPP server only when there’s traffic flowing, then it will be shut down from server after 30 seconds of inactivity.

To use NAT though, I need PPP to be active and usable, so I’m not sure I can obtain the same result putting the PPP start handler as you explained, but I could give it a try!

Federico Frigo
Master’s Degree in Computer Science

👨🏻‍💻 GitHub
💼 LinkedIn