lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0 for debian and virtualsquare (updated)

From: Renzo Davoli
Subject: [lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0 for debian and virtualsquare (updated)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 17:48:26 +0100

Dear Simon and dear lwip developers,
Dear Joan (maintainer of lwip Debian package).

In the latest patch files sent to this ML, I missed to rewrite a path in
posixlib
cmake (when I renamed linuxlib to posixlib). I have updated the patches
consistently.

We have tested posixlib and the generation of a new Debian package, and in my
opinion
these patches are stable enough for the merging.

Recap:
1- The code generated by contrib/ports/unix/lib has unresolved symbols:
$ nm liblwip.so | grep ' U ' | grep -v @
                 U sio_read
                 U sio_tryread
slirpif requires sio_read and sio_tryread.
The patch named 1-libnoslip.patch excludes slip.c from the library

2- CMakeLists.txt in contrib/ports/unix/lib lacks support for install and
uninstall and the compatibility with linux sockaddr.
The patch named 2-posixlib.patch adds a new dir contrib/ports/unix/posixlib
to generate a more linux-consistent library.

3- Add VDE support (see https://wiki.virtualsquare.org/#!tutorials/vdebasics.md)
The patch named 3-vdeif.patch adds an interface driver for vde.
Cmake checks for the availability of libvdeplug, the vde support is
automatically
opted out if the library is missing.

4- The patch named 4.socket_accept_avoid_useless_events.patchjust swaps two
sections
of the code in socket.c, function lwip_accept.
In the current implementation it sends the "anticipated" events
to the callback while it can still fail.
see line 727/728:
 727     err = netconn_peer(newconn, &naddr, &port);
 728     if (err != ERR_OK) {
The patch sends the events only when lwip_accept cannot fail any more.

----

All the Best

        renzo