lwip-members

[lwip-members] [task #13455] Extend neighbhor discovery ti support 6LoWP

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: [lwip-members] [task #13455] Extend neighbhor discovery ti support 6LoWPAN better.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:51:07 +0000

hi Ivan!
ND is a layer-3 protocol, it provides a routing service. As ARP, it needs to
provide layer-2 info.
For lwIP, 6LoWPAN rests at the link level (layer-2), although it is itself a
layer-3 protocol; IPv6 is sort of tunneled in a layer-3 over layer-3 fashion.
A 6LoWPAN-capable netif sounds awkward to me. However, a 6LoWPAN-aware netif
is probably the easiest way to do it.
netif_input() checks for 6LoWPAN (as it currently checks for IP) and calls the
6LoWPAN module! netif_output() is straight-thru.
This netif should be as simple as possible; ideally just looking as a netif to
lwIP and binding to another netif providing for user redirection to serial or
his 802.15.4/Bluetooth stack function calls.

I would rather like all ND functions in a module that can be called by the
IPv6 and 6LoWPAN modules. A netif or a 6LoWPAN module calling the IPv6 module
functions sounds like layer violation to me. Anyway, just my opinion.
I can help with moving current stuff to a separate module or working with the
tables, or whatever you suggest, just let me know.
Regards

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?13455>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/