lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Re: lwIP on DSPs

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Re: lwIP on DSPs
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:59:50 -0000

On Monday 03 December 2001 20.53, you wrote:
> Adam
>   I've been doing some more thinking on the problem and it might not
> be as bad as I originally thought.  My solution is similar to yours
> with a change to the header structure definitions.  The problem with 16
> bit chars if that only the lower 8 bits actually gets sent to the
> network controller.  What is needed for sending to the network interface
> is still an array (pbuf) of chars with only the lower 8 bits used in
> each char. Also in <limits.h> there is a #define for CHAR_BIT
> which is 16 on the processor I am working with.  So:

I afraid I don't really follow you. Are every other 8 bits of the 16 bit char
unused? Wouldn't it be possible to use a 16 bit type instead? I was thinking
of using u16_t:s for most of the stuff and shift the 8 bits around.

The CHAR_BIT #define seems to be the right way to go.

About the bit fields - they are gone in the latest code. They were just too
much hassle with too little gain.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>