lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] testing and evaluating TCP/IP stacks: an idea

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] testing and evaluating TCP/IP stacks: an idea
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:48:17 -0000

Hi!

On Monday 28 January 2002 09.48, you wrote:
> I'm reading some lines on a thread in comp.arch.embedded about TCP/IP
> stacks on 8 bit platform ("TCP/IP on 8 bit micros"), very interesting
> especially the messages written by the magic Adam.

Thanks! :-)

For those that are interested in doing some reading, here is a link to said
thread in Google's Usenet archive:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=91di4u47ctugfsfc9ltf2j43vh14bedgkt%404ax.com

> There are so many topics and issues related to TCP/IP not covered in
> any book (or likely present in technical papers, not accessible for
> everyone) that could be very important when we wonder why a stack works
> but it doesn't works as we would expect.
> I guess that many technicians (like me) that aren't network designers
> read books as Tanenbaum's one, so this is (in my modest opinion) the
> average level of knowledge.
>
> Why don't write a document on these hot topics?

If time only permitted.... :-)

> Arguments:
>
> - advance TCP/IP stack behaviour
>
> - TCP/IP stacks evaluation
>
> - TCP/IP stacks testing
>
> I know it is an hard work, but it would be very usefull for someone as
> me that haven't got a deep network background.
> I'm ready to collaborate, even if my english isn't very good. I have
> yet cut and paste some messages from newsgroup and written myself some
> notes for testing a stack.

Good initiative! Are you planning to put your work on-line somewhere?

A very good book about TCP/IP stacks and their implementation is "TCP/IP
Illustrated volume 2" which is a complete walkthrough of the BSD TCP/IP
stack. But it isn't really the best end to start learning about such matters
since it is really a *complete* walkthrough. It is a quite impressive read!

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>
http://www.sics.se/~adam