lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] struct packing

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] struct packing
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:10:20 -0000

Hi James!

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 00.26, you wrote:
>     1.  struct packing

Ok, so GCC needs an extra __attribute__ ((packed)) at the end of the structs.
Another #define PACK_STRUCT_STRUCT should be added then, like this:

struct foo {
   PACK_STRUCT_FIELD(struct x bar);
} PACK_STRUCT_STRUCT;

>     2. more packing:
>
>         After I have added the extra attribute to the structs, the
> ethernet frame is recognized as an IP packet with correct version number
> etc.  I suspect that there are other structs to be packed.  lwIP sends
> continuous arp requests for the ip address on its own default interface.
>
>     Should I try to repack the ethernet frame from within the 8900a
> driver?  Would I have to re-pack differently for each ip or arp packet
> type, or can it be generalized to 2 cases?

The only structs that needs to be packed are those that define protocol
headers. I'll add the packet attribute to all protocol header structs in the
next lwIP version.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>