lwip-users

[lwip-users] RE:Re: Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Paul Sheer
Subject: [lwip-users] RE:Re: Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:28:45 -0000

------=_Part_6238_1150586.1034973484742

> This is a common misconception with the *GPL.  GPL/LGPL does _not_ force
> you to submit your modifications upstream.  You only have to provide source
> if it is requested AND only to those who you distribute the binary to.

what good is software if you cannot distribute it?
in my own case we are trying to produce a product for retail!

> If Company A modifies lwIP directly and never distributes the application
> externally, guess what?  You won't see their changes (and there's nothing to
> force them to give them to you).

> Even if Company A sells a modified GPL/LGPL lwIP to
> Company B, Company B is _not_ obligated to give you those
> modifications either.

Yes they ARE obligated.
This is because they are "distributing" a "work based on the program".

Perhaps reading the GPL will clear this up:

  2. You may modify your copy [...] provided that [...] to be
licensed [...] under the terms of this License.

  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) [...] provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code [...]

    b) Accompany it with a written offer [...] to give any third
    party [..] a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding
    source code [...]

-paul