lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] Speed -> Thumbs up!

From: Florian Schulze
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] Speed -> Thumbs up!
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:21:27 -0000

Hi!

I have just tested the raw receiving speed using netio:
With WatTCP: 23-27 kbyte/s
With lwIP: 289-297 kbyte/s
Another Win32 computer: ca. 768 kbyte/s

These values are measured on a 10MBit Ethernet Network (BNC).
The receiver needs to run netio in server mode.

Again this is very pleasant. I haven't tested sending speed, but for my
application this is secondary. I guess sending will be slower, due to the packet
driver implementation.
I think the speed difference between WatTCP and lwIP comes from to things:
1. lwIP does much less memory copy and it's simpler (and 10 years younger).
2. Because DJGPP runs in protected mode and the packet driver runs in real mode,
my implementation is faster, because the packets are queued completely in
realmode without the need for a switch to protected mode, whereas WatTCP
switches for every packet more than once.

I will post the sourcecode on my website soon. I will announce here when it's
ready.

Florian