lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] struct packing

From: James Roth
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] struct packing
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:03:27 -0000

Hi,

    I'm porting lwIP to KROS rtos on Altera's Nios 32 processor using
gcc.  Some issues I've run into:

    1.  struct packing

        Using #define PACK_STRUCT_FIELD(x) x __attribute__((packed))
does not seem to pack the structs.

        Doing this does work:

        struct foo
        {
            struct x bar __attribute__ ((packed));
            sturct x sss __attribute__((packed))
        } __attribute__ ((packed));

        It seems that it does not work without that last packed attribute.

    2. more packing:

        After I have added the extra attribute to the structs, the
ethernet frame is recognized as an IP packet with correct version number
etc.  I suspect that there are other structs to be packed.  lwIP sends
continuous arp requests for the ip address on its own default interface.

    Should I try to repack the ethernet frame from within the 8900a
driver?  Would I have to re-pack differently for each ip or arp packet
type, or can it be generalized to 2 cases?

--
James