lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Gigabit Ethernet and LWIP

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Gigabit Ethernet and LWIP
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:42:03 -0000

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Chris Borrelli wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Have you thought about Gigabit Ethernet and LWIP.  Will the timer
> interval have to be decreased due to the increased volume of packets?
>
> Do you have an idea of performance of LWIP, and if it will be able to
> keep up with Gigabit speeds?

I'm working on something similar.  Not Gigabit Ethernet, but a gigabit
rate network.  lwIP in it's current form isn't targetted at this, and so
is unlikely to give the performance you require.  This will be especially
true if you use the sockets interface as the amount of thread switching
and message passing is just too great an overhead.  I'm creating a
somewhat different version for which the path for normal data delivery and
transmission is in a single thread, and which isn't so concerned about low
memory usage.  This should improve things.

Kieran