lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] one question

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] one question
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:12:46 -0000

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, William Li wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Can any one help me one question:
>
> How many tcp connections can lwip support in an
> embedded system with 128K internal memory and 64M external
> memory ?

I doubt anyone will be able to give you an accurate answer to that.  It
depends on so many factors.  The compiler and CPU architecture will affect
the code size, the way you configure it will affect it's RAM usage, the
bandwidth you require will alter the buffering requirements, the
application you want to process the data will alter how much is left
for the TCP/IP stack etc, etc.

Having said that, you have a reasonable amount of memory, so I'm not sure
that will be critical.  You might find that you run out of CPU processing
power before you run out of memory in an embedded system.

There are some figures for uIP (lwIP's even smaller cousin) at
http://dunkels.com/adam/uip/size.html, but I'm not sure if there's an
equivalent for lwIP.  Maybe Adam's masters thesis has this sort of data in
it?  (I can't remember.)

Kieran