lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] Re: lwIP on DSPs

From: Bill Knight
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] Re: lwIP on DSPs
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:57:39 -0000

>From what I found, the port of lwIP to a processor with 16 bits chars
is a major undertaking.  It will take a very significant rewrite and
the end result will be a lot different than the original.  If anyone
plans to go though with it, my suggestion is to abandon efforts make
the changes using #if's to switch between what is there now and what
you will need to make it work.  You might use lwIP as a guide for
what you need but much of it will have to be thrown out and
re-written for the DSP.

The CMX MicroNet stack is about $5500 for the base.  We added an
ethernet driver and a DHCP client and the total came to $7500.  The
license unfortunately, is written on a per product basis.  Come up
with a new produce or make more than a 20% code change and you are
suppose to pay an additional license fee.  If you decide to give
MicroNet a try, contact me and I'll fill you in on what is necessary
for the port.  (Once you know what to do, it only takes a few days.

-Bill

PS: I do not work for CMX not do I have any other ties to them.  I'm
posting this info so that others faced with similar circumstances can
benefit from my experiences.  I like lwIP.  Of all the small
footprint, open source stacks I've seen, it appears to be amoung the
best.  I'm looking forward to the time when I can actually use it in
a project.  It's just that for processors with 16 bit chars, I do not
believe it is a good choice.

PPS: If ANYONE can show me a clean way to port lwIP to processors
with 16 bit chars, PLEASE speak up.  As we plan to develop a series
of ethernet based projects using the TMS320LF2407, I would like
nothing better than to have a stack like lwIP at my disposal.