lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] DSP ports

From: Kenneth Porter
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] DSP ports
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:50:21 -0000

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 13:47, Adam Dunkels wrote:

> 1) Put each 8 bit byte into the 16 or 32 bit native datatype in the
> device driver and use special functions for extracting the 16 and 32 bit
> header field values.
>
> 2) Pack the 8 bit bytes into the 16 or 32 bit native datatype (2 or 4
> bytes/char) and use special functionality to extract the header values.

This should turn on how the MAC connects to the bus. The first choice
would be natural for an 8-bit MAC, and the latter for a MAC with a wider
bus interface that can tolerate not being able to control writes to
bytes within the machine word.

Does anyone have suggestions for a MAC/PHY chip that can handle
100base-T and perhaps 10base-T? It needs to connect  to a 32-bit data
bus without byte access lines. The DSP has a simple request/grant DMA
capability and separate RD and WR lines.

The initial application will be a telnet server to replace an existing
RS232-based command interface. In the longer term I'll add some file
transfer capabilities and perhaps a simple web server to show status.