lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] IP forming an Ethernet frame.

From: Pablo Bleyer Kocik
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] IP forming an Ethernet frame.
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:16:18 -0000

  If I understood your question correctly... Ethernet is to Ethernet what
IP is to IP. IP lives in the network layer (main concern is routing stuff
at the global scale) while Ethernet is at the data link (how do I send
stuff reliably from this computer to the next one). Strictly, an Ethernet
packet wraps an IP message completely. You could deliver an IP datagram
from one computer to another typing in one while reading the bytes from the
screen of the other (you would be the data link, then).

  However, in an Ethernet network commonly an association exists between
Ethernet addresses and IP addresses, and that's why the *ARP* protocols
exist. But then again, this is only meaningful at the link layer.

  Cheers.

--
PabloBleyerKocik / "Personally I don`t understand the motivation
  pbleyer        / to build robots in human form since humans are