lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] lwIP or uIP

From: Peter Bosmans
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] lwIP or uIP
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:27:42 -0000

Hoi,

Congratulations Adam, great uIP code.

I'm trying to implement uIP on my little motorola 6809 CPU board (10K usable
ram for data and code) connected via serial port at my linux home server.
I'm so far that i can do a ping.
Making a TCP connecting isn't working yet, because of checksum errors.
My 6809 GCC compiler doesn't support 32 bit integers, so i've to redo the
checksum routines.
Where can i find the details about the TCP-checksum calculation (IP checksum
works great).
It goes wrong when the amount of databytes are odd.

Now the worst part. I saw that uIP is to obsolete. lwIP will take over uIP.
But today i was examining that lwIP and came to the conclusion that i can't
use it for my 6809-board.
lwIP is designed to be used with an OS. And my little board doesn't have
such an OS and i've no intention to do this. (shortage of free time)
My intention is to reduce that board to one microcontroller (PIC, AVR, ....
suggestions??)
Is it possible to keep uIP alive for none OS driven systems.

Another question: I want to use a uIP for my home-controlling system. (every
chamber will have his own controller) Therefore i want to use little
micro-controllers connected with RS485 to each other (Yes, it will work
half-duplex) and my linux-server. Can i use the uIP protocol (with SLIP) to
communicate over such a RS485 network.
Have somebody tried this before ? what are your experiences ? Other ideas

Thanks for listening.
Keep up the good work,

Peter