lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] A Modest Proposal

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] A Modest Proposal
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:07:15 -0000

Hello all,

> Yeah, but would the developers stay involved in the implementors list?
> A bunch of newbies posting questions with no one knowledgable to answer
> will not help the proliferation of this fine effort.

Any sane implementor will have to understand the current status of the
TCP/IP
stack and in some way has to follow recent developments and at least
understand the .consequences.

However, I agree that the more open structure of the current Savannah CVS
tree
has spawned some IRC-like discussions on long-standing issues, and this
causes
too much traffic for the lwIP generic list.

> extensive thread about memory leaks to decide if this is an indication
> that the release version is unstable, or is this just a discussion of an

As far as I can tell, the stability of the stack has increased in time.

The exception to this, is once queueing was introduced in etharp.c. In cases
where chained pbufs where used, especially of mixed type, memory leaks
where introduced.

> So, I'm in favor of your suggestion, but I hope the core developers stay
> in touch with the implementors.

But also, the other way around. Each implementor submits his finding back
into lwIP (such as device drivers, architecture adaptions/ports).

Speaking for myself, I never made the distinction between (core) developer
and implementor; I chose the stack because I though the architecture and
implementation was quite nice, and thought I can expand on it in ways our
company uses it, which is what I do now.

What I liked most was that people using my code submitted back problem
feedback, patches, ideas and generally, contributed to a more stable stack
for me to use. Basically, the benefits of open-source and the BSD license.

OK, anyone against address@hidden Anyone in favor?

Regards,

Leon.