lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Web Cam with uIP

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Web Cam with uIP
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:09:05 -0000

Hi!

On Monday 13 May 2002 05.00, you wrote:
> Do anybody here have write the application program with uIP that able to
> connect to Web Cam??....Is it possible or I just sound crazy!!

I would definately be possible, but there are a few things to look out for
though. First off, there is an important design decision to make; whether the
camera should stream the data using RTP over UDP, or if it should somehow
send it over TCP (using HTTP, for instance). The difference is that TCP is
reliable and will retransmit lost packets, leading to throughput degradation.
This is very problematic for uIP, since it does not offer very good
throughput. lwIP would definately be better than uIP in this sense.

Using RTP over UDP would probably be easier with lwIP since it supports UDP
"out of the box". But even with uIP it should not be too hard to do it (look
at http://tfe.c64.org/ for an example of a uIP application that streams data
over RTP/UDP). In this case, TCP would only be used to set up the RTP/UDP
data stream and throughput would not matter as much.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>
http://www.sics.se/~adam