lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip-members] Re: Porting lwIP to RT-Linux

From: David Haas
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip-members] Re: Porting lwIP to RT-Linux
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:48:57 -0500

I think that there are no bugs, or at least as I understand what a bug
is. Is just that, when the interrupt handler of a NIC is executed in the same "level" then there are some weaknesses I found, I mean, sema-
phores are not enough. I found a way of stoping interrupts but without
loosing packets, so I added a sys_stop_interrupts and a sys_allow_interrupts
function to the sys_arch.
In linux, the lwip code and the NIC driver code is executed in different
levels, so no problem is caused by interrupts. That doesn't happens in
RT-Linux.
Sergio, did you see the lightweight protection which has already been added to lwip? It is meant to be used if you want to disable interrupts as a protection mechanism. Look at SYS_ARCH_PROTECT and SYS_ARCH_UNPROTECT macros and their implementation in the Coldfire port. Is there any reason why you could'nt use these already existing macros?