lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LwIP for Redhat Linux Verion 2.4

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LwIP for Redhat Linux Verion 2.4
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:30:42 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Srivastava Amit (IFIN DC SMS) wrote:

> Hi All,
>       I would like to know if anyone has hooked LwIP to the drivers of the
> Linux. I could not find any such registration API for the driver.Any update
> in this regards would be appreciated.

Not quite sure what you mean, but lwIP isn't really designed to be run as
a driver or in the kernel.  Instead you link it with the application you
wish to use lwIP, and the TCP/IP stack then runs at user level.  The
standard way of getting packets (in unix) to the kernel is through the
TUN/TAP driver.

In theory it would be possible to make a kernel module of lwIP that would
interface with the network card directly.  This would require a little
extra code though, and I'm not aware of anyone who is working on this.

Kieran