lwip-users

[lwip-users] Memory corruption problem with NIOS lwip port

From: David Aldrich
Subject: [lwip-users] Memory corruption problem with NIOS lwip port
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:23:49 -0000

Hi

I have an application running on an Altera NIOS processor core.  I have
used the Altera PLUGS network stack but it has some deficiencies and has
insufficient performance for my application.

I am now experimenting with a NIOS port of LWIP.  I have a small test
application that demonstrates the port by running a very simple http
server.  This test app works fine, so the port works.

However, when I add to this test application, to migrate it toward my
real application, I run into problems.  I have little to go on except
that my main() starts with a printf statement as follows:

const char * kpszVersion = "1.18";

printf("My app version %s\n\r", kpszVersion);

With just two C++ modules in my application, the message prints
correctly.  When I add a simple, third module, the version number is
incorrect and hundreds of characters spew to the screen.  So I believe
the constant kpszVersion is being corrupted yielding a very long string.
This did not happen when linking with PLUGS.

I cannot identify the cause of this behaviour.  It would seem that the
memory allocated to the constant is being corrupted at runtime, or is
never initialised.

Can anyone suggest a reason for what is happening please?

Best regards

David