lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Intention of poll, tcp_output() in tcp_slowtmr()call.

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Intention of poll, tcp_output() in tcp_slowtmr()call.
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:38:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, David Aldrich wrote:
> [David] My inspection of the code suggests that, for user data
> transmission, tcp_output() only gets called at the poll interval.  This
> seems very strange.  I want to achieve high transmission rates with
> relatively small memory; it seems to me that this demands a high poll
> frequency.  But I have no need for a poll callback.  I guess that I can
> either set the pollinterval to a low value (fast polling) or call
> tcp_output() directly from my application code after tcp_write().  This
> seems not to be ideal.

That's the intention, I seem to recall, but I may have remembered wrongly.
Last time it was brought up I think we promised to at least document this
need to call tcp_output if you're using the event API.  The sockets API
does this automatically, but there are reasons (I don't remember what they
are, but I do remember people objecting) why tcp_write shouldn't call
tcp_output itself.

Hope that helps,

Kieran