lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Stackless, non-preemptive uSmartX RTOS and lwIP

From: Christiaan Simons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Stackless, non-preemptive uSmartX RTOS and lwIP
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:44:56 +0100

address@hidden wrote on 26-01-2000
17:57:05:

> I have already passed through the lwIP sources and documentation. If I
> understand well it can works in two modes. The so called raw api and
> sequential api mode. The raw api mode doesn't require an underlying
> RTOS, but the latter does. The raw API mode should be easy and straight
> forward to integrate into my os.

We've used it for most of our lwip based projects, I can recommend it.
The sequential API is currently unmaintained, but it might work for some
ports.

> The sequential API looks a little bit tricky if the os is
> not-preemptive. If you look at the sample code below you can get an idea
> of how for example semaphores are used in my rtos. Basically they
> require the task to return if the resource is not available. The task
> will be than resumed by a semaphore post or a timeout event. Applying
> this to lwIP would require modification of the API calls in such a way
> that multiple calls of the same API call can be made if the semaphore is
> not available at the moment and than calling the same API function with
> "semaphore" available parameter...

Reading through doc/sys_arch.txt I get the impression
the usage of a preemptive kernel is assumed.

Using a non-preemptive kernel seems a bit odd nowadays.
I believe OSEK is one of the last one providing it.

> Now I am kindly referring to you for some comments on this
> implementation. I'm also a little bit confused on sequential API calls -
> which file contains the available calls ? Is this api_msg.c, sockets or
> some other additional file ?

There are two layers on top of each other.
The api_msg provides the actual serialisation,
the socket layer just builds upon this layer.
You can use both layers.

Bye,

Christiaan Simons

individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not