lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP on Gigabit Ethernet MAC (raw api)

From: Sathya Thammanur
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP on Gigabit Ethernet MAC (raw api)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:30:12 -0700

Hi Christiaan,
Is it true that Sockets API builds on RAW API? The Sockets port requires a kernel and hence this port does the same. Can you explain how the Sockets API works on RAW ? Although the functions for packet processing are the same at the ethernet level, the fact that there are multiple threads that are used to take care of packet processing, reading packets from ethernet and the tcpip thread which is used for communication between application and stack makes the working different unless I am missing something. The RAW API port always has been working based on the call backs being set up by the application for various stack events.

Sathya

On 9/15/06, Christiaan Simons <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Sathya,

> Xilinx EDK8.2iSP1 release does support the Trimode Emac for V4 with
> PPC. However this is supported only for the sockets API mode and not
> the RAW API.

Huh? Why this limitation?

The sockets API builds upon the raw-API,
thus the port must support both APIs!

I can't see why a specific port should
impose such a severe limitation.

One of the features of lwIP is that you
_can_ use it without a kernel and thus
without a socket layer.

Even if the driver requires a kernel,
the raw-API should work just fine as long
as the network code runs in same
task/thread.

Regards,

Christiaan Simons