lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] "the ARP layer is not protected againstconcurrent acces

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] "the ARP layer is not protected againstconcurrent access"
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:29:58 +0100

Hi,

> Sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me.  I'm slightly
> concerned by you saying that the tcpip_input() function
> wouldn't be needed anymore.
> Can you explain why?

That statement was only be true for 'new' drivers: they would call
tcpip_input_w_arp() for IP packets and tcpip_arp_input() for ARP packets;
tcpip_input() (without ARP) could only be used by old drivers. I wouldn't
remove it, only not use it for new drivers (IF we want the two mechanisms to
coexist; but I guess we have to in order to support ppp?).
The solution which Frédéric proposed is simpler, but sends ALL packets to the
tcpip_thread. Filtering them before passing on seemed more performant to me.

> > AS far as I know (but I'm not using it by now), that
> wouldn't affect
> > raw API programs running without an OS, since they don't
> use messages,
> > anyway. This would simply be a matter of assigning another input
> > function for netifs (and maybe another input function, e.g. netif-
> > >arp_input()).
>
> Any raw API users/experts care to comment on this aspect?
> Would be nice if we could come up with a simple solution that
> addressed this problem for all APIs.

That's definitively what I want, too. And I started using the raw API to test
this, but I cannot guarantee to see everything that matters since I'm only
beginning to use this.
So, comments are still welcome!

Simon.