lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] questions

From: S. Ali Tokmen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] questions
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:54:22 +0200

Hello

First of all, a major thing to know: lwIP is a TCP/IP stack. A TCP/IP stack is a component (software, hardware or a mix of both) using which a given application can use the TCP/IP protocol with ease. Today, there are hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of TCP/IP stacks (Microsoft has a TCP/IP stack, Linux has another one, MacOS X probably has its own, Solaris has its own, etc.). This answers questions 1 and 4; and potentially question 3.

Question 2: today, lwIP is generally used in embedded applications that require TCP/IP support. For example, all microchips produced by Analog Devices (www.analog.com, NYSE:ADI) are shipped by default with the lwIP TCP/IP stack (via VisualDSP).

Question 5: the memory footprint of lwIP depends on the processor and compiler, but lwIP should normally require about 40 KB of memory for its code. Then, you can allocate as much memory as you want to lwIP (for data).

Hope this helps

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com

GSM (fr): +33 66 43 00 555 [Bouygues Telecom]
GSM (tr): +90 555 266 52 73 [Avea]

My AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo IM
contact details are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/