lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Where I will get stat() function definition in LwIP

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Where I will get stat() function definition in LwIP
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:48:38 +0000

Ajeet kumar.S wrote:
Hi all;
Please tell me Where I will get stat() function definition in LwIP.
What is stat() function and how it will work.

If you don't even know what it is, then how do you know you need it? stat() is normally a function provided by a (POSIX-compatible) OS. Not a networking function.

stat() has no relation to lwIP at all. I suggest you google for "POSIX stat"

A variant of stat() called fstat() allows you to get information from a file descriptor, and you could argue that that could be related to lwIP since a BSD-style sockets interface normally works on file descriptors. But lwIP's BSD compatibility API is only, well, a compatibility API. It does not work on real file descriptors. That would require a huge amount of integration with the OS which does not exist for any OS.

Even on OSes with integrated network stacks, fstat() is not useful on sockets. Just about all it can tell you is that the file descriptor is not really a file.

Jifl