lwip-users

[lwip-users] Lights on management for IBM x343 and 3650

From: Won De Erick
Subject: [lwip-users] Lights on management for IBM x343 and 3650
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I received several error messages on an IBM box running FreeBSD 6.2 configured as a firewall:

    "em0: discarded oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len 1515 > max 1514)"

The system hung up and there was no respond from the keyboard. The last option was to hard reset the box (IBM x343), by pressing the white power switch located in the front panel of the box.

After some googling, the problem was the box received frames that are larger than the default (1500 MTU), which might have come from defective switch or router or from a PC client.

This is quite bothering specially if the box is in a remote location.

My concern is regarding the Automatic Server Restart (ASR) or Lights Out Management (LOM),

  1. Do IBM x343 and x3650 have support on ASR?  Or LOM? And are they supported on FreeBSD6.2?
  2. If so, can someone please provide some API (if it’s publicly available) so I can interface application to ASR or LOM?
  3. Can you share the specific requirement, features or APIs

Thanks for your help!